Health Warning for Cats & Dogs

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Health Warning for Cats & Dogs

Post  Admin on Sat Jul 19, 2008 10:53 am

Cocoa Mulch

This message came to one of the groups from Ali Taylor, Head of
Welfare, Battersea DH. They gave permission for it to be passed on.
Quote:
Yesterday one of our dog agility friends experienced a tragedy and wanted me to pass a special message along to all of my dog loving friends and family. Please tell every dog owner you know. Over the weekend the doting owner of two young lab mixes purchased Cocoa Mulch from Target to use in their garden. They loved the way it smelled and it was advertised to keep cats away from their garden. Their dog Calypso decided that the mulch smelled good enough to eat and devoured a large helping. She vomited a few times which was typical when she eats something new but wasn't acting lethargic in any way.
The next day, Mum woke up and took Calypso out for her morning walk. Half way through the walk, she had a seizure and died instantly. Although the mulch had NO warnings printed on the label, upon further investigation on the company's website, this product is HIGHLY toxic to dogs and cats. Cocoa Mulch is manufactured by Hershey's, and they claim that "It is true that studies have shown that 50% of the dogs that eat Cocoa Mulch can suffer physical harm to a variety of degrees (depending on each individual dog). However, 98% of all dogs won't eat it." Also included was the following information -
Quote:
Cocoa Mulch, which is sold by Home Depot, Foreman's Garden Supply and other
Garden supply stores, contains a lethal ingredient called "Theobromine". It is lethal to dogs and cats. It smells like chocolate and it really attracts dogs. They will ingest this stuff and die. Several deaths already occurred in the last 2-3 weeks. Just a word of
caution, check what you are using in your gardens and be aware of what our gardeners are using in your gardens. Cocoa bean shells contain potentially toxic quantities of theobromine, a xanthine compound similar in effects to caffeine and theophylline. A dog that ingested a lethal quantity of garden mulch made from cacao bean shells developed severe convulsions and died 17 hours later. Analysis of the stomach contents and the ingested cacao bean shells revealed the presence of lethal amounts of theobromine.

_________________
The average dog has one request to all humankind. Love me
avatar
Admin
Admin/Founder
Admin/Founder

Number of posts : 108
Registration date : 2007-12-11

View user profile http://missingpaws.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Food Warning for Dogs

Post  Admin on Thu Aug 28, 2008 11:33 am

Also please take note that the followig can poison Dogs
What could poison my dog? - recently, each week seems to add more common human foods onto a - dog poison list - it really is quite worrying. Hopefully this page will help to share and expand on that knowledge. If you have information or a link which you'd like to add here, please do get in touch.

What to do if you suspect your dog may have eaten something poisonous? Obviously, phone your vet and get there as soon as you possibly can.

Here's a list of common foods which are poisonous to dogs and puppies. Although we may be aware of these and not actually give them to our dogs - please also keep your pockets and handbags safely away from prying noses.....

Please note - whilst we have made comment here, and linked to sites of interest on these topics, there may or may not be any scientific evidence regarding the poisoning topics. It seems that whilst many dogs have been given these foods - and appear ok - that the effects can either be a result of one large dose or many small amounts - the effect of which builds up over time - we think it's best to be safe......

Chocolate - all forms - including things like cocoa powder and garden cocoa mulch A story from the Guardian further explaining why and how much chocolate is poisonous for dogs - it's about Theobromine - and can cause problems from vomiting and diarrhoea to death!
www.guardian.co.uk

Raisins, Grapes, Sultanas Whilst these have been used as treats and dogs love them, they appear to be able to cause renal failure - so again - safest to avoid.
Onions - especially including concentrated onions in the form of stock cubes, gravy enhancers etc. So -NEVER, give your dog a stock cube or human gravy thickners etc.
Pets affected by eating onions will develop haemolytic anaemia - starting with vomitting and diarrhoea. Thanks to www.petalia.com.au for this information

xylitol (sweetner used in sugar free chewing gum etc.) This causes a sudden drop in the blood sugar levels. Read more at www.avma.org.

_________________
The average dog has one request to all humankind. Love me
avatar
Admin
Admin/Founder
Admin/Founder

Number of posts : 108
Registration date : 2007-12-11

View user profile http://missingpaws.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

- Similar topics

 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum